Saturday, July 29, 2006

Spider-Man Cake

Spider-man is a well known comic hero. He can scale a building by casting a web and then he can miraculously save people with that same web. Well, knowing that, I wish Spider-man could have saved me last night. I was working on a cake in the shape of our favorite super hero and things were going great. I started baking at about 12:00 in the afternoon and I must say nothing out of the oridinary happened. So lets see, after mixing all the ingredients and working this cake into a wonderful mound of confection, I put it in the oven to bake for 45 minutes. The cake came out after that time and I let it cool. Standard procedure right? Well, I was making myself useful by washing dishes and cleaning up the kitchen. I did that after the cake was out because I don't like to disturb a cake while it's in the oven. So anyway, the cake is cooled and I'm ready to put it on a board so that I can decorate it. Well, of all the luck I don't have any boards to put the cake on. Knowing what I do about cakes, I know that handling the cake too much is a dire mistake. So being the kind of person that I am, I rushed to the store to get supplies. So while I was at the store I picked up the essentials, make a quick trip to Granddaddy's and then I head home. I come home, and I proceed to get the cake out of the pan, and what happens?? The stupid cake won't come out of the pan. Nothing I did made that cake come out. I put the cake back in the oven hoping the heat will cause it to pop out. Well, after about 30 minutes of trying I finally get the cake out of the pan and naturally half of Spidey's face is still in the pan. What to do? What to do? Well, I didn't cry that's for sure. I called my mom, you know for a little sympathy. I got sympathy, but poor Barb wasn't able to help. So I thought about what I should do and I headed back to the store. On the way out, I hear thunder in the distance. Hmmm... this isn't good, but I think to myself, I can make it. So I head for the IGA. Yes, I know it isn't the most glamorous grocery store, but I'm in a pickle and I need goods fast. In the checkout line the thunder is roaring and the rain picks up. The cashier has just finished tallying up my groceries and as soon as I swipe my card, the power goes out. Well, luckily for me I had cash. So I gather my goods and I wait near the window with the other patrons. I call my sister and she said, "Ohh No!" Well that was that. I waited a few minutes and decided to make a run for it. There I was with another woman running out in torrential rain all in the name of creating the perfect cake. So I put my groceries in the car and then I wade through five inches of water just to return the cart. Needless to say that cart didn't exactly make it back to the cart return. Good thing for me I'm only about a mile from the house so I start driving. The rain is unbelievable and the visibility is not exactly great. On the way, I noticed a red SUV stopped in the other lane and I'm thankful that he's not in front of me simply because I could not see two inches in front of me. So I get home and open the garage and the rain is relentless as I mentioned before and therefore my clothes are soaked. As soon as I open the office door, I notice that the fan isn't blowing. NO POWER! Great. I wait the storm out hoping that the power would come on eventually and nothing happens. I waited about two hours and began packing my things to move in to Granddaddy's for the evening. I would have stayed at my house, but the heat was beginning to rise and it was almost completely dark before I left. So I move into granddaddy's and it's already about 8:35. Needless to say that I began baking furiously and this cake gets made in a hurry. So by 9:20 the cake is in the oven and I'm thinking okay I've overcome one hurdle. So I wait on the cake, and graddaddy's oven is great, but you can't exactly set the temperature to the exact degree simply because the oven overheats. Well, isn't that just lovely. So this cake did not come out of the oven until about 10:15. Before I take a small break to get some dinner, I get this cake out of the pan and onto a cardboard so that I can decorate it. Yeah, my problems seemed to be over, but no that just couldn't be my luck could it? So after my dinner break, I get the icing ready and yes another hitch in the plan, the icing is a bit soft and I don't have any more sugar to thicken it up. GREAT! So I press on because I figure that if worse comes to worse the cake will have to dry out a bit, but at least the icing will settle where it should. So I decorate the cake and get it ready for delivery. By the time I cleaned up the kitchen and settled in for a nice long nap it was about 1:50 and I wasn't even sleepy. So I watched the Dukes of Hazzard, (the TV show not the movie). I fell asleep somewhere in the middle of it only to be awakened by my granddaddy having a loud conversation with himself. I figured it just wasn't important enough to get up for so I rubbed my nose and went back to sleep. Normally this doesn't happen to me (cake disasters), but I have had two cake disasters this month alone and I was beginning to wonder about everything! Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed reading this story as much as I did typing it. I'll put a picture of what Spider-man looks like and I hope that you'll stay tuned to hear the latest on my cakes and other disasters! :-) Love ya! Roslynn


Blogger Christy said...

Had it gone without a hitch, you wouldn't have such a fabulous story to write and share, I'm glad you can look back on it and laugh.....there's no other emotion that would have done much good! I see why you were an English major :O) I look forward to more pictures, and more stories (hopefully none so tragic for awhile ;O)).

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home